Re: Very strange Error in Updates

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "Dario V(dot) Fassi" <software(at)sistemat(dot)com(dot)ar>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Very strange Error in Updates
Date: 2004-07-15 05:42:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004, Dario V. Fassi wrote:

> When the parameter fill the full-length of receiving field and has any
> non common character, the update throw a exception like:
>
> java.sql.SQLException: ERROR: value too long for type character varying(30)

This is likely an encoding problem. What is the encoding of the database?
I'm guessing it's SQL_ASCII and you when entering data from java which is
in unicode it takes more than one byte of storage which is represented as
more than one character in an ascii database so it goes over the limit.

Kris Jurka