Re: JDBC driver inserting into a table with Bytea type gets

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: "Sailer, Denis (YBUSA-CDR)" <Denis(dot)Sailer(at)Yellowbook(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC driver inserting into a table with Bytea type gets
Date: 2004-06-21 19:02:09
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Sailer, Denis (YBUSA-CDR) wrote:

> This person was getting out of memory conditions inserting rows when the
> data in the bytea field was larger than approx. 1400 Kb. This person had
> posted a fix to the group that seemed to work for him. The inserts were
> coming from a java application using the JDBC driver.
> I just tried the latest JDBC driver and the problem still exists.
> Is this issue acknowledged as a bug?

It is more of a missing feature, "the ability to stream large data to the
backend."

> If yes, when is this issue going to be implemented in the code base?

There is an outstanding patch by Oliver Jowett, but I have some concerns
about how it handles errror conditions (it will just drop the connection
in some cases.)

> If it is already fixed, what are the steps to implement the changes to my
> 7.4.2 installation? Build my own JDBC driver?

When/if it is applied it will go only into the 7.5 source tree so you can
use that against your 7.4 server, but for the moment your only option is
to build your own version of the driver.

The original patch/discussion is here:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&safe=off&threadm=Pine.BSO.4.56.0405251012470.21539%40leary.csoft.net&rnum=1&prev=/&frame=on

Kris Jurka