Re: Register arbitrary types Framework

From: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
To: Markus Schaber <schabios(at)logi-track(dot)com>
Cc: PostGreSQL JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Register arbitrary types Framework
Date: 2004-03-17 07:29:07
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

[Discussing not having ResultSet.getObject return a PGObject]

I did not receive your reply through the list for some reason, but I
stumbled across it in the archives:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2004-03/msg00067.php

I asked what about symmetry with setObject and you replied,

But this problem is why I prefer the second solution using
factories although it is more work to start with. The factory
instances basically have 2 methods - one for reading and
another one for writing.

With getObject you can register the factory with a pg internal type name
that the driver knows, but with setObject you have nothing to determine
which (if any) factory to use other than the object itself. You could
work on some kind of reflection based scheme, but this is certainly not
symmetric with how getObject works.

Kris Jurka