Re: pg_class / missing tables

From: Chester Kustarz <chester(at)arbor(dot)net>
To: Wim Kerkhoff <wim(at)nyetwork(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_class / missing tables
Date: 2004-09-14 04:40:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Wim Kerkhoff wrote:
> Short story: server was rebooted without being shut down properly, upon
> bootup PostgreSQL (7.4.3) starts fine, but a couple of data tables
> (along with their associated indexes and sequences) are gone. Other
> tables are still there.

Perhaps you have IDE disks that do not fsync properly. I have seen
a box that had a bad disk system get into the same condition as well.
Perhaps the transaction commit bug fixed in 7.4.4 got you. Perhaps you
turned fsync off.

In any event, some of your tables and/or indexes are corrupted. You should
test your hardware to eliminate that as a concern and upgrade your postgres
version.

You have backups, right?