Re: removing specific duplicates

From: Josh Jore <josh(at)greentechnologist(dot)org>
To: Al Arduengo <exal(at)oasis(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: removing specific duplicates
Date: 2002-07-15 14:46:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

Al,
First thing you should do is add a serial not null unique column to that
table. If you are going to need to do this sort of operation then you need
something by which to get a handle to a specific row.

So this command will delete exactly one duplicate from your table. You
need to keep runnin it until it deletes zero rows. Is this idea? No. It's
one step above worst case. Unless you *like* this sort of pain, fix your
app to prevent this sort of duplication. You could have a trigger or rule
stop duplicate inserts. You could use a unique index. Whatever works for
you. Just do *something*.

DELETE FROM temp WHERE oid IN
(
SELECT temp.oid
FROM temp
JOIN
( SELECT count(*), sample, spec, temp, measurement
FROM temp
GROUP BY sample, spec, temp, measurement ) dup
USING (sample, spec, temp, measurement)
WHERE dup.count > 1
LIMIT 1;

So your next question. How to replace the existing unique data with a
single averaage. Requesting the average is easy:

> sample spec temp voltage measurement
> 1 Tdsu 25 4.5 1.12e-9
> 1 Tdsu 25 4.5 1.3e-9

SELECT sample, spec, temp, voltage, AVG(measurement)
FROM temp GROUP BY sample, spec, temp, voltage;

So if you wanted to keep the average and throw away the detail data then
just delete the old row and insert the new row (which you saved prior to
deleting the data)

Joshua b. Jore ; http://www.greentechnologist.org