Using SSL with database <-> webserver connections.

From: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Using SSL with database <-> webserver connections.
Date: 2001-08-10 02:40:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hey folks,

I'm hoping this question is suitable for this group.
I did do some archive searches on the PHP mailing lists, with
either no hits, or a billion.

My ultimate goal is to have all connections between
my webserver and the database server use SSL. I have both
the database and psql (two separate OpenBSD machines)
compiled with SSL built-in, and that works fine.

Now, within the PHP code on the webserver, I need
to open the connection using SSL if possible. Using the
resources on php.net, I need to:

pg_Connect("host=myHost port=myPort tty=myTTY options=myOptions
dbname=myDB user=myUser password=myPassword ");

That's fine - I can handle that. However, that's as
much detail as they give towards the options. My question is,
does anyone here know what specific option I can put in the
connect string to use SSL only? Is this possible?

I'm hoping that some kind soul can give me a quick
response - I'd rather not wade through the signal-to-noise
ratio over on the PHP lists. If this is completely off-topic,
I will. Just send me a polite "Go over there, idiot." :)

Thanks much!

Benny