Re: installing/running ODBC

From: Louis Bertrand <louis(at)bertrandtech(dot)on(dot)ca>
To: Laurel Williams <tech(at)clearwater-inst(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing/running ODBC
Date: 2001-03-19 01:43:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

I don't believe you need to compile anything special on the Linux side.
The Windows ODBC driver is able to communicate with the PostgreSQL
backends in "native" dialect.

You need to start postmaster with -i to tell it to listen on the network
(netstat -a and look for a LISTEN on port 5432 to check)
You also need to make sure pg_hba.conf in your data directory enables
remote hosts to connect (hosts or entire subnets).

On the Windows side of things (tried it Friday on Win98):
get the iodbc driver from ftp.postgresql.org
install it on your Windows box
Start > Settings > Control panel > ODBC32
Add a machine DSN for your PostgreSQL server.
A few gotchas: the default is read-only. Look in the Advanced... and
Options... subpanels. The log files are under the C:\ folder by
default. Look there for clues.

I tried it from Access 2000, using the File > Import Data > Link tables
You need to select ODBC sources as the file type.

Ciao
--Louis <louis(at)bertrandtech(dot)on(dot)ca>