Re: Toast,bytea, Text -blob all confusing

From: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
To: jason(dot)ory(at)ndchealth(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Toast,bytea, Text -blob all confusing
Date: 2001-08-27 19:05:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 jason(dot)ory(at)ndchealth(dot)com wrote:

> THIS IS WHAT I CANT SEEM TO FIGURE OUT IN POSTGRESQL
> 1. I cant get a clear answer on what kind of data type to use for my large
> text string? TEXT, ???, ??? or something about TOAST
> I have seen in the e-mail archive but cant find any documentaion?
I would suggest bytea or blob. Blobs are well-documented in normal
documentation and in documentation of your favorite interface, so I'll
just talk about bytea.

> 2. I've written my own escape method ,("cant find one for Pgsql") , BUT i
> don't know what
> to escape and not to escape. So it keeps failing. I cand find any docs. on
> what to escape either?
For bytea, follow this rule: to escape a null character, use this:
'\\0'. To escape a backslash, use this: '\\\\'.

Same idea to unescape data.