Re: Function returning an array

From: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function returning an array
Date: 2001-08-23 19:45:25
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> writes:
> >> What's the correct syntax to return two VARCHAR(255)?
>
> > There isn't one. At this time, functions cannot return arrays.
>
> Well, they *can*, it's just that there's no syntax to support
> constructing an array value in SQL or plpgsql languages.
Most importantly, there's no syntax to support deconstructing an array ;)

I have patches to support "select * from function(args)" almost done, I
just need to perform merge against -current. But unfortunately RL took
most of my time and I was unable to work on pg-related things for last
months. The patches contain quite a lot of changes to core structures
(RangeTblEntry and others) and I want to get them in before 7.2 gets
frozen. Hopefully this weekend I'll have some time to do merge and
cleanup....

Also included in the patch is ability to do 'select * from cursor foo'.

-alex