Re: relation ### modified while in use

From: Alex Pilosov <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: relation ### modified while in use
Date: 2000-10-23 05:09:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> when done, but it will deadlock if SELECT does not release that lock.
>
> That's annoying but I see no way around it, if we are to allow
> concurrent transactions to do schema modifications of tables that other
> transactions are using.

I might be in above my head, but maybe this is time for yet another type
of lock? "Do-not-modify-this-table-under-me" lock, which shall persist
until transaction commits, and will conflict only with alter table
lock/AccessExclusiveLock?

I realise we have already many lock types, but this seems to be proper
solution to me...

In related vein: Is there a way to see who (at least process id) is
holding locks on tables?