RE: Re: DB porting questions...

From: Michael Fork <mfork(at)toledolink(dot)com>
To: "Diehl, Jeffrey" <jdiehl(at)sandia(dot)gov>
Cc: "'Rick Robino '" <rrobino(at)wavedivision(dot)com>, "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Re: DB porting questions...
Date: 2001-04-18 21:47:43
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Diehl, Jeffrey wrote:

<snip>
> Querying the entire database is difficult, and very important to me.
> I tried to setup a "view of a union" scheme. That isn't supported.
> Right now I am using a perl function to rewrite my sql in such a way
> that it queries any of the tables I want and coelesces the output.
> Aggregate functions even work with this method.
</snip>

To get around this same problem, I created a base table from which all
other tables were inherited. Doing this allows for you to query on 1
table, or all data easily.

i.e.

CREATE TABLE wwwlogs (id INT4, url TEXT);
CREATE TABLE wwwlogs_041801 INHERITS (wwlogs);
CREATE TABLE wwwlogs_041701 INHERITS (wwlogs);

HTH...

Michael Fork - CCNA - MCP - A+
Network Support - Toledo Internet Access - Toledo Ohio

<snip>
> Querying the entire database is difficult, and very important to me. I
> tried to setup a "view of a union" scheme. That isn't supported. Right now
> I am using a perl function to rewrite my sql in such a way that it queries
> any of the tables I want and coelesces the output. Aggregate functions even
> work with this method.
</snip>