Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products

From: "Brett W(dot) McCoy" <bmccoy(at)lan2wan(dot)com>
To: Amos Hayes <ahayes(at)ingenia(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres vs commercial products
Date: 1998-07-22 17:52:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Amos Hayes wrote:

> Has there ever been any discussion about a new name? It doesn't matter to
> me but it would seem that with the current discussions about promotion and
> competition, it might help to have a more "public friendly" name. It is
> not obvious to me what a "postgres" is nor what it would do if I were to
> install it. Granted that "oracle", "informix", and "sybase" are all a
> little strange too, but they give hints (oracle, inform, base) about
> containing knowledge. They also seem to roll off the tongue a little
> easier.

Actually, I think Postgres originally came out of the Ingres family,
which is still around. It is an odd name, but sometimes odd names get
remembered. My company has a commercial database that is called
"Diogenes", and it gets remembered because it is so different from other
databases that are similar (like Medline or other healthcare related
online databases).

Brett W. McCoy
http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
"The Number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected."
-- The UNIX Programmer's Manual, 2nd Edition, June, 1972