Re: Sun vs a P2. Interesting results.

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)wavefire(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sun vs a P2. Interesting results.
Date: 2003-08-26 19:05:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Darcy Buskermolen wrote:

> I'm still seeing differences in the planner estimates, have you run a VACUUM
> ANALYZE prior to running these tests?

I did. I shall retry that.. but the numbers (the cost estimates) are
pretty close on both. the actual times are very different.

> Also, are the disk subsystems in these 2 systems the same? You may be seeing
> some discrepancies in things spindle speed, U160 vs U320, throughput on
> specific RAID controlers, different blocksize, ect.

As I said in my first email IO isn't the problem here - the data set is
small enough that it is all cached (~10MB). iostat reports 0 activity on
the disks on both the sun and p2.

and I just ran teh test again with 40 clients: 730s for hte p2, 1100 for
the sun. (0% idle on both of them, no IO). I think the next I may try is
recompiling with a newer gcc.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/