Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Date: 2002-07-09 01:09:20
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> > Nothing. We even have audio files on the website so there is
> > no question on how to pronounce it. Some folks just aren't
> > happy unless they can change what doesn't need changing is
> > all. I guess it's their way of contributing.
>
> I don't understand some of the animosity I have seen towards
> what I consider a positive change. It obviously does need
> changing, otherwise so many people would not be discussing it.

Funny, that's just about the same argument the pro GPL people use
when the licensing discussion comes up.

> An audio file on the website is not going to help people who
> are reading the word inside text somewhere. The very fact that
> such an audio file even needs to exist should be telling us
> something. It was created because people were having a hard time
> pronouncing it. Saying that people can pronounce it properly
> because there is an audio file smacks of circular logic.

That's not what was said. Some people can play it over and over and
still not be able to pronounce it. Same with my last name and yours
for all that matter. But that's no reason to change it, or are you
willing to change your last name so all of use can pronounce it? The
audio file is there so if someone wants to know how it's really
pronounced they can click on it and listen.

Tell me, do you pronounce "Linux" the same way Linus does or some
other way? Should "Linux" be changed to something that has a more
common pronunciation? And yes, I know how Linus pronounces it, I've
heard it - someone sent me an mp3 of it.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com