Re: WWW-Authentication and Postgresql

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Andrew McMillan <andrew(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Stephan Borg <wolff_borg(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WWW-Authentication and Postgresql
Date: 2001-12-27 15:51:03
Lists: pgsql-php

On 27 Dec 2001, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> > <snip>
> > A couple of quick gotchas. 1) make sure you filter out all unwanted
> > characters so someone can't execute sql calls inside of a username or
> > password. 2) On failure make sure you send a 401 to the browser just
> > like you do initially when asking for the password to clear out the old
> > one - you can also use this to handle logouts.

<snip>

> I think that what Vince was getting at particularly, in replying to my
> post suggesting not to use database-level users, was that if you are not
> using database level users then there is a greater risk of this being a
> problem. I would tend to dispute that - I think this is a risk
> _anytime_. Paranoia rules.

Nope, all I was saying was to filter out all input from the browser.
you don't want any apostrophes, or probably anything other than a-z,
A-Z, 0-9. and to use the 401 to clear out failures.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com