Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Andrew G(dot) Hammond" <drew(at)xyzzy(dot)dhs(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explicit config patch 7.2B4
Date: 2001-12-19 03:27:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > Using Apache and modssl under debian linux, the certs live in
> > /etc/apache. Similarly, crypto keys for Nessus live in /etc/nessusd.
> > So /etc/postgresql would be reasonable.
>
> Just a note from a FreeBSD (ie. a decent filesystem standard layout) it
> horrifies me to see post-install packages put stuff in /etc/. Of course,
> whomever writes the FreeBSD port will override this default and put it in
> /usr/local/etc/pgsql.

Which is why I avoid rpm, deb, package, etc. The support nightmare it
causes when vendors start upchucking various bits and pieces of the
program all over the drive. Then the poor user tries explaining what
he did or tried to do in /var, /etc, /opt and a bunch of other places
(up to and not necessarily excluding the trunk of the car) and figuring
out something as simple as where a certain file is so the permissions
can be verified or where the include files and libraries happen to be
hiding.

No, this is not an invite for the discussion of whether or not vendors
should or should not scatter files all over the filesystem. It's only
a statement of what it causes on the support end - no, not all people
contact the vendor of the os when they have a problem with a program.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com