Re: CVS branch management (was Re: A problem with new

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CVS branch management (was Re: A problem with new
Date: 2001-11-28 22:23:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Lamar Owen wrote:

> > I was always under the impression that a FAQ was an *abbreviated* version
> > of some of the main docs. As in, FAQ = frequently asked questions, main
> > docs = all possible questions. So this reasoning doesn't make sense to
> > me.
>
> FAQ = questions from users on how the thing works, with answers gleaned
> fromthe developer's mailing list (this has been the definition for at least
> ten years -- or more -- but, as I've only been internet-literate for a mere
> ten years, I wouldn't have first-hand knowledge of accepted practice prior to
> 1991. As I ran a C-News site beginning in 1991, I got up to speed on the
> Jargon fairly quickly. Speaking of Jargon.... according to Jargoogle, FAQ is

I've seen them (that I recall) back to at least '72 and the definition is
still the same as yours Lamar.

> 'officially':
> "FAQ /F-A-Q/ or /fak/ n.

'cept we pronounced it different. Two sylables, the second only being
the Q. I think you get the idea. I won't go into the rationale for it
tho.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com