RE: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>, "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: AW: Re: GiST for 7.1 !!
Date: 2001-01-12 13:07:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Mikheev, Vadim wrote:
>
> > > Um, you do realize that a contrib module that gets used as part of the
> > > regress tests may as well be mainstream? At least in terms of the
> > > portability requirements it will have to meet?
> > >
> > > I'm unhappy again. Bad enough we accepted a new feature during beta;
> > > now we're going to expect an absolutely virgin contrib module to work
> > > everywhere in order to pass regress tests?
> >
> > Ops, agreed.
> > And I fear that in current code there is no one GiST index
> > implementation -:( Should we worry about regress tests? -:)
>

> Yes, we had to write contrib module even to test GiST. People,
> I'm really confused after reading all of messages.
> GiST is just an interface and to test any interface you need 2 sides.
> In current code there is only one side. old GiST code live
> untested for years. What's the problem ? It's the problem of
> current regression test, mostly.
> Ok. We could rewrite R-Tree to use GiST and make regression test which
> will not make people nervous. But this certainly not for 7.1 and most
> probable without us. Author of R-Tree could write this easily.

The problem is that there is inadequate amount of time to fully test the
the regression tests among all of the platforms that we support ...
therefore, we can't test GiST among all of the platforms we support ...

for instance, can you guarantee that _int.c will compile on *every*
platform that PostgreSQL supports? That it will operate properly? Have
you tested that?