Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Idea: jobs.postgresql.org
Date: 2001-09-08 17:14:44
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Justin Clift wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 8 Sep 2001, Justin Clift wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > It is definitely something interesting, and there are a fair few
> > > PostgreSQL jobs out there.
> > >
> > > The address Joe mentioned is correct, I'm just so short of time now I
> > > haven't been able to do much in the way of site maintenance recently, so
> > > that page hasn't been updated in ages.
> >
> > If you want we can merge jobs into the main site for now.
>

> Sounds good to me. When it's up, the jobs page is the third most
> popular techdocs page people visit. The hardest part I've found is
> knowing when jobs have been filled, because people routinely "forget" to
> say when.
>
> An attitude I've found dissapointing is the weird belief a number of
> agencies have that there must be "some kind of catch" to putting their
> PostgreSQL related jobs online for free. No charge, no banner
> advertising, etc. You'd think they'd never heard of "Community Spirit".

We can talk to Marc, but we can set it up as 1) someone looking for work
gets a free listing, 2) a company looking for someone gets a free listing,
but 3) a headhunter pays $10/listing - or "donates" it to postgresql.org
or run it thru pgsql.com of if neither do we can run it thru libpq.com.

> A lot of the stuff I do on the techdocs site is "lets see if this works
> and is beneficial". The jobs section was and is, and so I'm happy for
> it to become something more, main site, sub-domain, whatever.

That's where idocs came from. Now when it doesn't work my mailbox fills
up quickly!

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com