Re: [repost] pg_restore doesn't work with custom format?

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Allan Engelhardt <allane(at)cybaea(dot)com>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [repost] pg_restore doesn't work with custom format?
Date: 2001-10-20 01:01:33
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> 1. Target database is named by -d switch, else default to dbname
> from dump file.
>
> 2. If --create specified, connect to template1 and issue CREATE DATABASE
> for target.

Should there be an option for what database as template for doing the
create when you're doing a --create? Just wondering if there might
be a case where you'd want to create based on template0 if you're moving
between machines where template1 is different and you don't want the
extra stuff.

> 3. Connect to target database.
>
> 4. If --clean specified, issue DROP commands. (Note that --clean
> --create is not too sensible since DROPs cannot be needed in a new
> database. Should we ignore --clean if --create was given too?)
>
> 5. Issue create and data loading commands.

Seems sensible. I think pg_dump should probably follow similar rules
for --create and --clean when making dump files that you're going to
run through psql.