Re: SELECT updatability clause defective.

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: joneil(at)combimatrix(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SELECT updatability clause defective.
Date: 2001-05-09 19:04:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, 9 May 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > Jerome O\'Neil (joneil(at)combimatrix(dot)com) reports a bug with a severity of 2
>
> > SELECT updatability clause defective.
>
> Nope.
>
> > The syntax for select updatability clause is non-standard.
>
> That's not a bug.
>
> > While SQL-92 BNF describes it as
> >
> > SELECT ...
> > [FOR UPDATE [OF <column name list>]]
>
> Chapter and verse?

I see it as part of declare cursor (13.1)

<updatability clause> ::=
FOR { READ ONLY | UPDATE [ OF <column name list> ] }

However, I think the updatability clause means something
different than our for update. If I'm reading it write, I think
it tells you whether or not you may do positioned updates on
the cursor.