Re: beta testing version

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Cc: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Gary MacDougall <gary(at)freeportweb(dot)com>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-04 15:25:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Don Baccus wrote:

> At 11:59 PM 12/3/00 -0400, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > the sanctity of the *core* server is *always*
> >foremost in our minds, no matter what other projects we are working on ...
>
> What happens if financially things aren't entirely rosy with your
> company? The problem in taking itty-bitty steps in this direction is
> that you're involving outside money interests that don't necessarily
> adhere to this view.
>
> Having taken the first steps to a proprietary, closed source future,
> would you pledge to bankrupt your company rather than accept a large
> captital investment with an ROI based on proprietary extensions to the
> core that might not be likely to come out of the non-tainted side of
> the development house?

You mean sort of like Great Bridge investing in core developers? Quite
frankly, I have yet to see anything but good come out of Tom as a result
of that, as now he has more time on his hands ... then again, maybe Outer
Joins was a bad idea? *raised eyebrow*

PgSQL is *open source* ... that means that if you don't like it, take the
code, fork off your own version if you don't like what's happening to the
current tree and build your own community *shrug*