Re: beta testing version

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: xuyifeng <jamexu(at)telekbird(dot)com(dot)cn>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-11-28 16:51:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, xuyifeng wrote:

> you are complete wrong, if I don't like PG, I'll never go here or talk
> anything about PG, I don't care it. I just want PG can be improved
> quickly, for me crash recover is very urgent problem, otherewise PG is
> forced to stay on my desktop machine, We'll dare not move it to our
> Server, I always see myself as a customer, customer is always right.

except when they are wrong ...

... but, as for crash recover, the plan right now is that on Thursday, Dec
1st, 7.1 goes beta ... if you are so keen on the crash recovery stuff,
what I'd recommend is grab the snapshot, and work with that on your
machine, get used to the features that it presents and report any bugs you
find. Between beta and release, there will be bug fixes, but no features
added, so it makes for a relatively safe starting point. I wouldn't use
it in production (or, rather, I personally would, but it isn't something
I'd recommend for the faint of heart), but it will give you a base to
start from ...

release will be shortly into the new year, depending on what sorts of bugs
ppl report and how quickly they can be fixed ... if all goes well, Jan 1st
will be release date, but, from experience, we're looking at closer to jan
15th :)

> > Regards,
> XuYifeng

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org