Re: [HACKERS] Re: PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Frank Joerdens <frank(at)joerdens(dot)de>
Cc: Charles Tassell <ctassell(at)isn(dot)net>, Adam Lang <aalang(at)rutgersinsurance(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, scherf(at)ventasoft(dot)de
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL
Date: 2000-11-17 06:33:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Install PgSQL, install PHP4, install IMP ... do it on a standalone machine
that you would never get an external connection on ... open connection to
IMP several times and watch number of postgres backends start and never
die ...

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Frank Joerdens wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Charles Tassell wrote:
> >
> > > Just a note, I've been using Postgres 7.02 and PHP 4.02 or 4.03 for about a
> > > month in a couple sites, and haven't experienced any problems with
> > > persistent connections. Problem might have been fixed in one of the point
> > > releases, or maybe I just don't have enough different db connections to
> > > trigger it.
> >
> > I run PHP4 and IMP (http://www.horde.org) and we've gotten then to remove
> > the useof pg_pconnect() since it is broken. Broken how, you might
> > ask? Well, I ran on a standalone machine, no other web users but myself,
> > to test, and each tim eI hit the database with IMP,. it opened a new
> > backend, but it never reused old, idle ones ... eventually, you run out of
> > the ability to connect since you've locked up all connections ...
>
> That sounds pretty evil. Have you also tested PHP3 by any chance? Has this been posted to
> php-general? If this is a general issue, it would have to be considered a _very_ nasty bug
> indeed. Can you describe how you made the test, i.e. how you saw that it wouldn't reuse
> idle ones and keeps opening new ones? How would you monitor this?
>
> - Frank

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org