Re: JDBC 'Unterminated quoted string'

From: Christopher Farley <chris(at)northernbrewer(dot)com>
To: Grant Finnemore <gaf(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: Peter Mount <petermount(at)maidstone(dot)gov(dot)uk>, Interfaces <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JDBC 'Unterminated quoted string'
Date: 2000-11-10 18:16:00
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Grant Finnemore wrote:

> Peter,
>
> Joseph Shraibman contacted me yesterday about whether or not the patch that I
> sent actually does the correct thing. I enclose my response below.

I think the patch does do the correct thing. Remember, in Java,
String.valueOf('\0')==null returns false, so Java developers should not be
surprised when their data shows up in a postgres column as '' rather than
null.

I just think that '\0' should be parsed or stripped from Java strings so
that it doesn't cause weird unterminated string errors.