Re: Postgresql Site Search

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Craig May <craig(dot)may(at)s2(dot)enthdimension(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql Site Search
Date: 2000-10-23 23:52:46
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Craig May wrote:

> Considering postgresql performs so well for me here, why is the
> postgres site search so fucking slow??

The search engine used (udmsearch) isn't written to be the most efficient
as far as making use of SQL features are concerned (ie. it was designed
with MySQL limitations in mind) ... I've sent in several suggestions that
provide speed improvements (use of subselects) that haven't been
implemented as it would break MySQL support ...

One of these days, I'll sit down and do the mods and submit it in such a
way that for PostgreSQL, it uses subselects, for MySQL, it doesn't
... unless someone else feels like diving into some code?

The PostgreSQL backend for the site is running on a dedicated PIII-400
with ~512Meg of RAM ... its not like the resources aren't there :(