Re: AW: AW: AW: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: AW: AW: ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN
Date: 2000-10-13 21:37:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

> > Hiroshi's patch would make for a good starting point by bringing in the
> > ability to do the DROP COLUMN feature, as I understand, without the
> > rollback capability,
>
> No Hiroshi's patch is rollback enabled, simply because all it does is
> change some system tables. It only does not free space that is used by
> "old" phantom columns. This cleanup would need extra work, but for
> now, I guess it would be fine to simply say that if you want to regain
> the space create a new table and move the data.

okay, but, again based on my impression of what Tom has stated, and
previous conversations on this topic, the key problem is what happens if I
drop a column and a later date decide add a new column of the same name,
what happens?

I *believe* its that condition that Tom's thought about physical vs
logical column names was about ... Tom?