Re: TIOGA

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TIOGA
Date: 2000-10-11 18:38:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Considering no one has used it in 4 years that I remember, my guess is
> that it is an abandonded Berkeley project.

If it does not break anything in our build process, please let it in there
while I do further research on what it is ... I personally think what I've
seen on the web site so far is interesting and bears further investigation
before we just yank it out ...

> > > It was some db visualization tool. There is a web page about it
> > > somewhere at Berkeley. I say remove the directory. It is junk now.
> >
> > that is a bit rash considering that you tend to imply that you don't even
> > know what it is?
> >
> > Peter, according to google, the primary Berkeley site that comes up is:
> >
> > http://datasplash.cs.berkeley.edu/
> >
> > "DataSplash combines a sophisticated navigation model with a paint program
> > interface with which users can create custom visualizations. A beta
> > version of the software is now available."
> >
> > And, from the overview:
> >
> > "Tioga DataSplash (formerly known as Tioga-2) allows users to
> > interactively create and browse visualizations of database tables.
> > DataSplash was developed by members of the Tioga Project at the University
> > of California at Berkeley. DataSplash software is available on Alpha/OSF,
> > HP/UX, Intel/Linux, and Sparc /Solaris platforms. We are porting to other
> > UNIX platforms as well."
> >
> > The "Quick Tour" looks really cool, but I'm not sure how tied into
> > the whole backend/tioga directory this whole thing is. My first feel is
> > that 'tioga datasplash' is a userland application, but someone else might
> > be able to make a better determination?
> >
> > Check out this, which explains what 'Splashes' are ... it almost
> > gives me the feel of Visual Statistical Modeling ... ?
> >
> > http://datasplash.cs.berkeley.edu/splashes.html
> >
> > If it isn't breaking anything, please leave it in there, as I'd
> > like to look into this a bit further ...
> >

> --
> + If your life is a hard drive, | 830 Blythe Avenue
> + Christ can be your backup. | Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania 19026

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org