Re: TIOGA

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: TIOGA
Date: 2000-10-11 18:28:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 11 Oct 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > Does anyone know what backend/tioga is for? It's not Spanish for TOAST,
> > is it? :-) It looks like it wasn't compilable for quite a while.
>
> It was some db visualization tool. There is a web page about it
> somewhere at Berkeley. I say remove the directory. It is junk now.

that is a bit rash considering that you tend to imply that you don't even
know what it is?

Peter, according to google, the primary Berkeley site that comes up is:

http://datasplash.cs.berkeley.edu/

"DataSplash combines a sophisticated navigation model with a paint program
interface with which users can create custom visualizations. A beta
version of the software is now available."

And, from the overview:

"Tioga DataSplash (formerly known as Tioga-2) allows users to
interactively create and browse visualizations of database tables.
DataSplash was developed by members of the Tioga Project at the University
of California at Berkeley. DataSplash software is available on Alpha/OSF,
HP/UX, Intel/Linux, and Sparc /Solaris platforms. We are porting to other
UNIX platforms as well."

The "Quick Tour" looks really cool, but I'm not sure how tied into
the whole backend/tioga directory this whole thing is. My first feel is
that 'tioga datasplash' is a userland application, but someone else might
be able to make a better determination?

Check out this, which explains what 'Splashes' are ... it almost
gives me the feel of Visual Statistical Modeling ... ?

http://datasplash.cs.berkeley.edu/splashes.html

If it isn't breaking anything, please leave it in there, as I'd
like to look into this a bit further ...