Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [HACKERS] My new job
Date: 2000-10-10 21:48:59
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Adam Lang" <aalang(at)rutgersinsurance(dot)com> writes:
> > I wasn't judging. I was mentioning to others what the concerns probably
> > were. Also, it isn't a concern of "Company B" taking over. It is of the
> > possibility of development put in the direction that best benefits of
> > Company B as opposed to the project itself.
> > It is merely a conflict of interest issue.
>
> Right, exactly. That was why we originally suggested putting a limit on
> the number of core members employed by any one company: to reduce both
> the actual and perceived potential for core decisions being taken in a
> way that is more for the benefit of some company than for the project as
> a whole.
>
> I am not sure that the *real* potential for bad choices is all that
> high. I think all the core members understand very well that we are
> stewards of a shared resource, and in the long run decisions counter
> to the community-wide best interest will also not be in the best
> interest of our companies. But it's also important that the rest of
> the PG community *perceive* that core decisions are well-founded.
>
> However, given recent events the original two-of-six idea isn't feasible
> any more --- and certainly none of us were going to tell Bruce that he
> couldn't take that job because that'd make three GB employees on core.
> So the question is, what do we do now?

For now, nothing. If it never becomes a problem then it's moot - besides,
now you're out of core members to go anywhere :) Yeah I know, someone can
always move from pgsql to gb, but the same can go in the other direction.
Make all decisions cautiously and in the best interest of PostgreSQL and
there should be no problems.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com