C++ client libs

From: Randy Jonasz <rjonasz(at)click2net(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: C++ client libs
Date: 2000-10-03 18:47:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could offer me some pointers in extending the
C++ classes used for client applications? I'm interested in developing a
set of C++ classes which will interact directly with the postgres back-end
with the following enhancements to the current implementation:

These are preliminary musings and definitely open to change.

1) Implement connections as a stream object. e.g.
db = new pg_database(char * connection_params);
db << sql_string;

2) Implement results as a returned object from pg_database
result = db.exec();
result >> field1 >> field2 >> field3;
and
field = result["field"];
field = result[fieldnum];

3) Implement asynchronous calls to the back-end permitting multiple
queries to be executed concurrently

4) Implement a standard set of exceptions which can be thrown
ex. if connection to back-end is interrupted or cannot be established
within 30 seconds of the first attempt, throw.

5) I'm looking at making the libraries portable between FreeBSD, Solaris
Linux and Win32.

If anyone has suggestions/additions to this list it would be greatly
appreciated!

Cheers,

Randy Jonasz
Software Engineer
Click2net Inc.
Web: http://www.click2net.com
Phone: (905) 271-3550

"You cannot possibly pay a philosopher what he's worth,
but try your best" -- Aristotle