Re: Small SSL-related patch...

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Small SSL-related patch...
Date: 2000-09-17 14:56:31
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Dominic J. Eidson writes:
>
> > The only reason I did this, was because it made sense to me to be able to
> > do things like downloading the OpenSSL tarball, ./configure'ing and
> > make'ing OpenSSL (without doing a "make install",
>
> Naaah, that doesn't work. You can't use packages right out of the source
> tree. Besides being unclean it's also unportable and unpredicable.

Okay, this one I will disagree with ... there are *several* packages out
there that quite happily do that ... PHP4 is one, for its IMAP support,
Ghostscript is another for its JPEG support, and, there is one more, but
can't recall which it is, for its SSL support (I thought it was OpenSSH,
but its been so long since I've built it) ...

For PHP4, as an example, I have zero desire to taint my system with UofW
IMAP, any more then I wish to have it tainted with MySQL ... so, I un-tar
the sources, build it, and point PHP4 to the source directory to get its
lib/headers for its build, and then delete the IMAP source tree ...

For GS, ports under FreeBSD extracts the jpeg port, link's it to the gs
port for the build process and then removes the jpeg port, without
installing ...

I've never tried it with anything else, as its never come up before ...