Re: Small SSL-related patch...

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Dominic J(dot) Eidson" <sauron(at)the-infinite(dot)org>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Small SSL-related patch...
Date: 2000-09-16 19:58:44
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> (I thought I sent this before but my email has been shaky lately.)
> IMHO, it is not the task of the `--with-<package>' options to account
> for unusual installation paths on the build machine. We have
> --with-includes and --with-libraries for that, and we already rejected
> various other attempts to add more spellings of that. Now this patch
> doesn't actually add any options but it still opens a can of worms.
> Normal installation procedures (including that of OpenSSL!) install
> into PREFIX/lib and PREFIX/include, and I don't think that adding
> various other subsidary algorithms of finding the required files, in
> locations that are not sanctioned by the package in question, is going
> to do a lot of good.

Ya know, I was gonna disagree with you here, basd on my experiences with
FreeBSD and its very non-instandard installation procedures ... as well as
my experiences with *alot* of packages out there that gratuitously allow
'--with-package=<location>' ... but, since we do have the
--with-{includes,libraries} options to configure, I think we do it so much
simpler then most ...

I'll side with you on this one ...

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Applied. Seems this is not longer mentioned in the docs.
> >

> > > Attached is a small patch that fixes a small "bug" with specifying the
> > > souce directory of OpenSSL as argument to the --with-openssl - argument.
> > >
> > > ./configure --with-openssl=/tmp/openssl-0.9.5/ - the libcrypto.a is in the
> > > "base" directory, not lib/.
> > >
> > > Also, there's 2-3 typo fixes to the documentation for SSL - it should be
> > > "server.crt", not "server.cert".
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > --
> > > Dominic J. Eidson
> > > "Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!" - Gimli
> > > http://www.the-infinite.org/ http://www.the-infinite.org/~dominic/
> > [ Attachment, skipping... ]
> >

> --
> Peter Eisentraut peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net http://yi.org/peter-e/

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org