using a join in an 'INSERT ... SELECT' ...

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: using a join in an 'INSERT ... SELECT' ...
Date: 2000-09-14 04:18:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Okay, logically I think this makes sense, but its not working ... should
it?

globalmatch=# insert into auth_info_new
globalmatch-# select ai.* from auth_info ai, auth_info_new ain
globalmatch-# where ai.username != ain.username;
INSERT 0 0

auth_info has 14k tuples, but some are duplicates ... I want to insert
into auth_info_new everything except those that have already been inserted
into auth_info_new ...

now, my first thought looking at the above would be that since
auth_info_new is empty, all from auth_info should be copied over ...
basically, since each tuple isn't "committed" until the insert is
finished, then every username in ai is definitely not in ain ... but
nothing is being copied over, so my first thought is definitely wrong ...

bug? *raised eyebrow*

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org