Re: Some gripes about BugTool

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Some gripes about BugTool
Date: 2000-08-24 11:03:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 24 Aug 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> I take it the "PostgreSQL BugTool Submission" posts that've been
> appearing on pgsql-bugs for the last day or so are output from our
> much-discussed new bug tracking system. I have a couple of major
> problems with these reports:
> 1. Utterly useless Subject: line. Why does the form ask
> for a "short description" if not to use as a subject?

easily changed.

> 2. From: line is pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, ie, the mail
> list address, not the address of the bug submitter.
> This makes it hard to reply to the submitter.

You have to be on the list to send mail to it. Since every user isn't
on the list they can't be in the From line. Complain to Marc.

> 3. Webform does not ask for platform etc. info requested
> by our standard bug report form. Indeed, webform
> seems designed to discourage any sort of complete report.
> A 70x10 input window and no way to attach files :-(

The upload files function is commented out since I had no place to put
the file when uploaded.

> I may be feeling a tad crabby tonight, but as far as I can see we
> have learned nothing whatsoever from the failure of the Keystone
> go-round. It won't take too many more of these annoyances before
> I set my mail filters to bit-bucket all traffic with "PostgreSQL
> BugTool" in the subject line.

I can change the subject line easy enuf but don't plan on any further
development on the tool since Ben is supposed to be presenting us with
the ultimate bug tool. If it's going to be more than a month or so
before we'll see this thing then I'll add/enable some functionality,
otherwise I can't see the point.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com