Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Ben Adida <ben(at)openforce(dot)net>
Cc: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>, Ned Lilly <ned(at)greatbridge(dot)com>, Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)
Date: 2000-08-21 15:12:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Ben Adida wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
> > Could it be possible that folks are shying away because of having
> > to install and learn an entire webserver and tools and then the
> > bug tracker on top of that?
>
> And so the solution is to build a totally new system?

In some cases yes.

> Coming from the Postgres team, this is relatively surprising. Postgres is a great
> tool. I dropped Oracle and learned Postgres because I thought it would eventually
> become a better tool, and because it was already better in many ways. It took
> time and effort to do so, but eventually it was the right thing to do because I
> can now make full use of a very powerful open-source database.

I am *NOT* "the Postgres team". But have you listened to what you & Don
are suggesting that we, or for that matter anyone else in need of a bug
tracking system, do? You want us to install the full blown arsDigita with
all the bells and whistles just for a bug tracker. That's like saying I
need a pickup truck to move a chair so I'm going to go out and get a new
FreightLiner with a 55' trailer to do the job.

> It seems to me that the whole point of Open-Source vs. Not Invented Here is that
> you are *supposed* to go out and make the effort necessary to learn new tools
> that can then become extremely useful. If you accept the attitude of "it's not
> Apache/mod-perl so I'm not using it," then it's time to stop all criticism of
> those who use MySQL, Oracle, Windows, etc... Those people are *used* to their
> technology, and the only reason they refuse to switch is that they don't want to
> spend time learning something new.

You missed the point. It's called overkill. You needed a full blown
database for your project. We need (although _want_ may be another story)
a bug tracker - not a new webserver.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com