Re: Pgadmin man page

From: Vince Vielhaber <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pgadmin man page
Date: 2000-07-27 10:14:54
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Well, there is *no* pgadmin. At least on Unix, and man pages only exist on
> > > Unix.
> > > It's also kind of strange that we're shipping documentation for a program
> > > we're not actually shipping, when that program might better ship its own
> > > documentation. It's certainly nice to mention related products, but maybe
> > > a reference page is not the most appropriate form (especially since the
> > > reference page at hand is more like an advertisement anyway).
> >
> > I wanted to have reference pages for useful programs. You are right, it
> > shouldn't be in the man page list (which is just specified in
> > sgml/Makefile).
> >
> > The advert character of the page is due to my picking up text from
> > somewhere and stuffing it in to the page. afaik it is the only example
> > of a program in the docs which is not in the basic distro, but I'd like
> > to have some way to tie in to other apps and doc sets. Perhaps we should
> > put some text into the intro for the reference section?
>
> Isn't reference to other programs something that belongs on the web
> site, not in our docs.

At least a blurb on the interfaces page.

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH email: vev(at)michvhf(dot)com http://www.pop4.net
128K ISDN from $22.00/mo - 56K Dialup from $16.00/mo at Pop4 Networking
Online Campground Directory http://www.camping-usa.com
Online Giftshop Superstore http://www.cloudninegifts.com