Re: proposed improvements to PostgreSQL license

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposed improvements to PostgreSQL license
Date: 2000-07-07 12:42:16
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Chris ... kill this thread :) Ron and I talked in the background and I
guess he got confused by Bruce's HISTORY in his book ... he got the
impression that things got "bounced around" a few times, and didn't
realize that it was all fluid from the days of Jolly/Andrew into us, with
a slow down before I kickstarted things in '96 ...

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Chris Bitmead wrote:

> > > Are you volunteering?
> >
> > Of course. As the systems administrator for my company,
>
> One company down. 99,999,999 to go.
>
> > The best argument so far as to how a BSD style license will maintain
> > PostgreSQL's viability as an open source project is that if someone take
> > the code proprietary, someone else can fork the code and continue
> > development as an open source project.
> >
> > This has happened in PostgreSQL's own history. How long did it take for
> > the project to get picked up again? How long did it take for the people
> > who picked it up to familiarize themselves with the code? How long did
> > it take before the community at large developed any confidence in the
> > project's viability? How much talent was lost? How many ideas were
> > lost?
>
> Are you saying that Illustra destroyed the original postgres project? I
> don't buy that. Postgres back then wasn't an open-source project, it was
> a university project. The internet wasn't widely used, there was no wide
> interest in improving the code.

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org