Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Benjamin Adida <ben(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Tim Perdue <tperdue(at)valinux(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date: 2000-07-05 16:30:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Benjamin Adida wrote:

> > Another clarification: PHPBuilder is owned by internet.com, a competitor
> > of VA Linux/Andover.
>
> PHP folks have a bias, too: PHP was built with MySQL in mind, it even ships
> with MySQL drivers (and not Postgres). PHP's mediocre connection pooling
> limits Postgres performance.

Careful here ... PHP was not built with MySQL in mind ... hell, I used PHP
ages before it even *had* MySQL support (hell, before I even know about
Postgres95 *or* MySQL) ... also, if I recall reading on the PHP site, the
MySQL support that is included is limited, but I don't recall where I read
it. There is a recommendation *somewhere* that if you want to use all the
features, you ahve to install the MySQL libraries first ...

Just to defend PHP, cause, well ... I like it :)