Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date: 2000-07-05 11:54:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Jan Wieck wrote:

> > Odd, were you using transactions here, or transactionless?
>
> Mark, you cannot use Postgres transactionless. Each single
> statement run outside of a transaction block has it's own
> transaction.

Sorry, but 'transactionless' I mean no BEGIN/END ... from what I've been
gathering from Tim, his code goes something like:

do query 1
do query 2
if query 2 fails "oops"

vs

do query 1
do query 2
if query 2 fails, abort and auto-rollback query 1

Then again, Tim might be being even more simple then that:

do query 1
exit