Re: Changes to handling version numbers internally

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changes to handling version numbers internally
Date: 2000-07-03 01:41:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker writes:
>
> > It doesn't sound to me like something that *belongs* in configure.in,
> > as it is not required for any tests that configure requires ...
>
> This way we can also make it available to shell scripts and make
> files. The next autoconf version will have built-in support for this
> setup, so it's not like I'm making this up. :)

I see you've already committed the changes, which I still disagree with
... I don't like the fact that someone has to remember to update the
configure.in and autoconf it to change the version number. We already
have the mess with template files, why not create a VERSION file that
could just as easily be read in by configure, without having to do an
autoconf, to change the version?