Re: Back online

From: "Matthew N(dot) Dodd" <winter(at)jurai(dot)net>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: Matthias Urlichs <smurf(at)noris(dot)de>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Back online
Date: 2000-06-14 17:18:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
> Hmm. That is what I'm hearing, so I'm not sure why my Adaptec/MO640 is
> blowing chunks when I try reading or writing.
>
> Will keep poking at it :(

MO drives have a really bad habbit of collecting dust/lint on the
optics. This is why its important to store drives without disks in them.

To clean the optics you'll have to open the drive up and somehow gain
access to them. On the larger 5.25" mechanisms this can be fairly easy
(In the case of the Sony SMO-X501 drives), to fairly annoying (Any HP
mechanism.) I've got a 3.5" Olympus mechanism that I need to clean and I
suspect it may be on the difficult side. The 3.5" Fujitsu mechanism looks
a little easier to get access to.

Use a q-tip and alcohol.

If you can actually find cleaning media then use that.

--
| Matthew N. Dodd | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD |
| winter(at)jurai(dot)net | 2 x '84 Volvo 245DL | ix86,sparc,pmax |