list & check tables

From: psql mail <psql(at)doz(dot)tsutsuji(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: list & check tables
Date: 2000-06-10 02:13:20
Lists: pgsql-sql

I know it sounds simple but I'm having trouble finding commands to
return all of the tables in a database ...
and test if a certain table exists...

I know you can use \dt etc but I want to have something I can call from
php so it will return an array or some form I can use in the code.

are there commands for this or will I have to do something fancy like keep
another table just to track the tables?