Re: Crack Warez Links,,Anonymous Posting Kit,,New--Anonymous MAIL BOMB

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Crack Warez Links,,Anonymous Posting Kit,,New--Anonymous MAIL BOMB
Date: 2000-05-04 05:15:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> OK, one more time: refresh my memory as to why it's a good idea to
> propagate Usenet posts into the pgsql mailing lists?

there is an anti-spam filter in place that is supposed to handle this
... I've sent an email over to the Majordomo2 guys asking them what's up,
as this spam should not have made it through (there is nobody subscribed
to either -hackers or -loophole from fbi.net) ...

As for why its a good idea ... cause some users prefer to read news then
email? Olivier PRENANT <ohp(at)pyrenet(dot)fr>, for one, uses the newsgroups and
is subscribed to -loophole so that his posts get through ... he's the one
that has been putting in bug reports dealing with the UnixWare port ...

I'm starting to read the newsgroups myself, as there are posts getting
there now that aren't hitting the lists, and, consequently, just getting
dead air ... not many, mind you, but still, its one more user that MySQL
isn't getting :)

Quite frankly, one spam coming in out how *how many* proper posts,
especially with the news<->mail gateway in place, isn't too bad ... now
just have to figure out how that one got through :(