create rule x as on select...do insert - when?

From: M(dot)Mazurek(at)poznan(dot)multinet(dot)pl
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: create rule x as on select...do insert - when?
Date: 2000-04-12 01:15:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,
I'm trying to create simple rule:
nieruchomosci=> create rule log_select as
on select to oferty do insert into log_oferty (nr) values(oferty.nr);
ERROR: only instead-select rules currently supported on select
nieruchomosci=>

pg 6.5.3 on linux, am I forced to create a trigger or is there a simpler
solution. It is to be a simple rule which is to log to another relation
information about touples selected in query.
creating view is not helpfull, because i have to store my data at once in
log relation not in a view.

any hints?

Marcin Mazurek

--