Re: [HACKERS] Re: ORDBMS

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: ORDBMS
Date: 2000-01-28 15:02:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Tom Lane wrote:

> Chris Bitmead <chris(at)bitmead(dot)com> writes:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> For a lot of this older stuff, there isn't even any documentation
> >> (that I know of) on what it's *supposed* to do, let alone on how
> >> thorough the original implementation was.
>
> > I thought that the original berkeley doco covered this to some extent.
>
> Where would I find that?
>
> > Basicly I think you're supposed to be able to go...
>
> > CREATE TABLE address (street TEXT, number TEXT, suburb TEXT, zip TEXT);
> > CREATE TABLE person (name TEXT, address ADDRESS);
>
> > SELECT name, address FROM person WHERE person.address.suburb = 'New
> > York';
>
> Hmm. This looks like a CREATE TABLE implicitly creates a datatype
> that acts more or less like a C 'struct' declaration, ie, it's just a
> collection of subfields. OK, a struct-making declaration is certainly
> useful. What I don't understand yet is whether the contents of table
> "address" have any connection to the data stored in table "person".
> If not, why must I create a table in order to define a datatype? Seems
> like a separate CREATE DATATYPE command would make more sense...

Not quite an answer to your question, but my guess is that 'address
ADDRESS' would contain a pointer (OID) to the address table ... so the
person table would be realtively small in comparison to the address table

The way I look at the above, its a 'JOIN' at table create time, based on a
unique value, the OID ...

How 'dep' can you go with this? ie:

CREATE TABLE address (street TEXT, number TEXT, suburb TEXT, zip TEXT);
CREATE TABLE telephone ( home TEXT, business TEXT, fax TEXT );
CREATE TABLE person (name TEXT, address ADDRESS, telephone TELEPHONE);

Question, if I did an INSERT person VALUES ('myname');

What happens to the address table? a row gets created with all NULL? Or?

The reason I ask is the way it was taught to me was that an RDBMS gains
its benefit through normalization and joins ...with the outer join syntax
coming up, if you had a table of 'person' fully populated, but only
address info for 1/2 of them, you could still get all 'people', while your
'address' table has 1/2 the tuples of the person one ... space savings ...

HSorry, rambling thoughts out o fmy head without putting them together
very well :)

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org