Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, webmaster(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, PostgreSQL-documentation <docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] 6.5.3 diff
Date: 1999-11-09 00:24:53
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > >
> > > Not what program, what set of arguments for the diff command...no matter
> > > what I seem to try, someone doesn't like the patch :)
> >
> > There's so many different arguments.... 'diff -uNr postgresql-6.5.x.orig
> > postgresql-6.5.x' works for me, and is what I use in preparing the
> > patchsets for the RPM's. Of course, that presupposes that there is a
> > whole '.orig' tree laying around to diff against, but I fugre that's a
> > given.
> >

> While we are on the topic, can someone explain why unified diffs are
> better than context diffs. I find unified diffs hard to read.

Damn, hadn't clued into the -u :( unified diffs, I believe, are smaller,
and in doing a v6.5.x->v6.5.x+1 patch, are fine...context diffs contain
more "surrounding code", so that if someone else has made changes, the
patch command can generally find where the code has moved to. That is why
we only generally accept context diffs for the source tree, since its such
a moving target...

And, if none of the above made sense, no worries...its barely making sense
to me too :(

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org