Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble?

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble?
Date: 1999-10-20 00:35:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Tue, 19 Oct 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > > Huh? We certainly do --- or have you missed that
> > > * Copyright (c) 1994, Regents of the University of California
> > > that's plastered across all the source files?
> >
> > Regarding which I have a question: at other locations I see (c) 1994-7
> > Univ. of California, or even (c) 1996-9 PostgreSQL Global Development
> > Team.
> >
> > I am not an expert in any of this, but I'm just wondering: when did the
> > involvement of the U of C end, when was the Global Development Team (tm)
> > formed and do both copyrights exits in parallel? What if someone
> > contributes something really major and fairly independent (say like
> > pg_access) and wants to keep his own copyright (with compatible license of
> > course)?
> >
> > And is the PostgreSQL Global Development Team any real entity that could
> > theoretically enforce that copyright or is it just an alias for "whoever
> > contributed"?
>
> Now there's a good question. How long does the BSD imprint remain. I
> assume forever. It is still on BSD/OS files. Only the ones they right
> from scrath get a BSDI imprint.

So, should we be extending the Date of the BSD license? Like, is there no
copyright *after* 1997? Or, can we do something like:

* Copyright (c) 1997-9
* PostgreSQL Global Development Team
* Copyright (c) 1994-7
* The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org