Re: [GENERAL] Mirror non-friendly site???

From: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
To: fk(at)akf(dot)dk
Cc: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Mirror non-friendly site???
Date: 1999-09-22 01:45:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999 fk(at)akf(dot)dk wrote:

> I've just today noticed that sunsite.auc.dk has announced that they
> have removed their mirror of www.postgresql.org due to:
>
> PostgreSQL webpages removed
>
> As the PostgreSQL do not want to provide a
> mirror-friendly copy of their web-pages we
> have removed our www-mirror of
> www.postgresql.org.
> 9th september 1999
>
> --- end quote ---
>
> What's this??? Have they contacted you about this or what is this all
> about???
>
> I'm asking because I, being a dane, would very much like to see a
> danish mirror (doh, really :-), but that is currently not the case as
> I see it.

I order that we are able to monitor and maintain a good mirror list, we
have requested that all mirrors use rsync vs mirror to mirror the site.
This also allows us to "remove" from mirrors files that are specific to
the central server (ie. ht/Dig database files) through the use of an
exceptions file on our end...

Those mirrors that are listed on our web site are what we know to be up to
date...they're connections are log'd to a database and a new list is built
nightly, based on whether a site connected to not.

Due to the this, the reports of "out of date" sites have drop'd to
nothing...and, as a result of this, in order to ensure that mirrors *are*
done through rsync, the ftp server is/was configured to throttle
connections whose only purpose is to mirror the site through ftp...

All things considered, I don't believe that this policy has hurt us any,
as the number of mirror sites we do have has been increasing, and other
then the original "hiccup" when we did change over of ppl having to swtich
over, it was a fairly smooth transfer ...

Marc G. Fournier ICQ#7615664 IRC Nick: Scrappy
Systems Administrator @ hub.org