Re: replication

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone23(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Daryl Chance <dchance(at)valuedata(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: replication
Date: 2000-09-21 16:59:46
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Daryl Chance wrote:

> Could this possibly be done using triggers? I'm new to
> postgres, but I know on a project I was doing using oracle
> the dba could setup triggers to run on the OnInsert() (not
> sure what it's actually called in oracle...). Do maybe
> on the "OnInsert" of table foo you could do:
>
> Insert into foo(at)remotesite1 ....
>
> Is this possible in postgres? I'm looking at using postgres
> for the next version of my SW and if replication isn't in,
> I'm gonna need something like this :).

You could probably write a C trigger that would propogate
changes, except that there are still problems. What do you
do when you roll back the transaction? Currently, there
aren't triggers for transaction start and end. Triggers that
do stuff outside the database right now are a bad idea unless
you have some other mechanism to determine whether something
was really supposed to be done. It could be done, but isn't
trivial.